One of the new and most growing parts of First Event is our Youth and Family Track. This set of workshops is specifically for families with a transgender child and supporting families. There’s a good reason for the growth. According to the University of Maryland and an article in the San Jose Mercury News, there has been an upsurge in the number of referrals relating to transgender identities among children (1)(2). A key aspect that can get lost in the conversation around children or youth who are transgender is the supporting the family a a whole. What course of action should they take? Who can give them factual answers to their concerns about their kids and family? Are there other families facing the same issue, are they alone?
The good news is that there are many resources that exist today to support families. A helpful online resource is The Human Rights Campaign web page, “HRC Page of Support for Families with Transgender Children“. Another helpful source is at First Event with our Youth and Family Program.
The First Event Youth and Family Program is for all families of all ages. There will be a pizza and pool party at 5:00 on Saturday. Also available will be activities for elementary school aged children accompanied by an adult. Here is a list of the workshops for families:
All of these workshops fall on Saturday, January 23, or Sunday, January 24th, 2016
For Saturday January 23:
- Connecting with Other Parents of Transkids
- Toddlers To Teens: An Introduction To Issues Related To Transgender Youth (K-12) Who Need To Transition
- Supporting Transgender and Gender-fluid Children
- The Pineapple Project: A 30 Minute theatre piece for kids that celebrates the gender creativity in all of us.
- Transgender Children, Youth & Families, Part 1
- Saturday Family Luncheon
- Father’s Support Group with Transgender Children
- Transgender Children, Youth & Families, Part 2
- How to Make the School Transition Go Smoothly
- Kids Pool Party
For Sunday January 24 (more to come on Sunday!):
- Extended Family Conversations: Supporting Your Extended Family So They Can Support You
- Butterfly Music Transgender Chorus
- Running Trans Support Groups
(1) The Emotional Well Being of Mothers of Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Children
(2) San Jose Mercury News Story on Transgender Kids
(3) HRC Page of Support for Families with Transgender Children
(4) Did You Disown Your Trans-Child?