Transgender folks seek opportunities to express themselves and interact with others as the gender that feels authentic, natural, or “right.” For trans folks who aren’t planning to transition, or are early on that path, those opportunities often feel limited. We often end up feeling confined to evenings, and/or a social circle that’s similar to a larger closet. These opportunities can feel like freedom, but for those who seek a deeper relationship with the world, those outings fall short. TCNE provides those opportunities as well as opportunities to safely and cautiously deepen those experiences.
Through a series of activities we are coordinating, we provide trans folks and their allies volunteer opportunities. These activities are vetted by our volunteer staff. Through TCNE, Trans folks have helped out with Cradles to Crayons, Greater Boston Food Bank, Freedom for all MA, Rosie’s Place, Boston Health Care for the Homeless, and
Upcoming Events ~ Volunteer with us today by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- February 22, 2020: Boston Health Care for the Homeless
March 14, 2020: Emerald Necklace Conservancy
- The March 14, 2020 Emerald Necklace Conservancy Volunteer Day has been cancelled. If you have questions, please email email@example.com
- March 31, 2020: Cradles to Crayons
- May 16, 2020: More Than Words
- May 31, 2020: Boston Health Care for the Homeless Health Fair (details coming)
- June 2019: Theater of the Offensive
- A few TCNE volunteers gathered to help out with the Theatre Offensive’s Micro-Theater project. The Theater Offensive presents the diversity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer lives in art so bold it breaks through personal isolation, challenges the status quo, and builds thriving communities. Our TCNE Volunteers served as greeters, ticket takers and contribution collectors during event.
- May 2019: More than Words
- About half a dozen TCNE volunteers gather to help More Than Words gather and organize books for the needy. More Than Words is a nonprofit social enterprise that empowers youth who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business.
- May 2019: Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program
- About a dozen TCNE volunteers attended and volunteered at BHCHP Transgender event. The event serves many homeless and marginalized trans people. It was great to see some of these folks again, as several of them attended First Event for the past couple years through our scholarship program. The TCNE volunteers provided support through food service, give away programs, and the free thrift store.
- Sept. 2018: Rosie’s Place
- We volunteered with a number of other organizations to serve lunch to the women who rely on Rosie’s Place for support
- June 2018: Freedom for All
- We worked with volunteers from across Boston to educate the public about the Massachusetts Ballot referendum, Question 3, regarding protecting transgender people from discrimination in public spaces
- April 2018: Cradles to Crayons, Boston
- We volunteered at Cradles to Crayons with 100 other volunteers to help 400 needy children.
- March 2018: Greater Boston Food Bank
- We volunteered with others in Greater Boston to work in the Greater Boston Food Bank warehouse to assist inspecting, sorting, and repacking donated food and grocery products.